Friday, April 13, 2012

Real Life

I've been struggling to find something to write about, it seems like there hasn't been any major discoveries or revelations lately.  And then I realized that that in itself is a revelation.  This has become our every day boring life.  We make bread on Tuesdays, we have pizza on Thursdays.  I hang laundry out on a daily basis to make sure that Orion has clean cloth diapers.  When I need something I instinctively head to Goodwill first.  I no longer drive by fast food joints or restaurants and have pangs of longing and there are aisles in the grocery store that I haven't walked down in weeks.  Mike cleans the kitchen every night so that we can start fresh in the morning.  There are still days when I get frustrated of course, but that happened before the Experiment too.
  I looked at how much we are spending on groceries and it hasn't gone down considerably.  The quality of food we are getting is exponentially higher.  Those same grocery bills are buying grass-fed beef, local organic produce and local dairy products.  I love the fact that I've held the chickens we get our eggs from and I know my dairy farmer by name. 
It's funny, when we started this I was convinced that we were going to save so much money, and that was the main goal.  Now I'm learning that I'm saving my family.  Mike's cholesterol is going down, my children are craving and asking for fruit and yogurt as a treat and I feel better than I have in a long time.  And it's not a big deal, it's our every day boring life.

4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our farmer's market just started carrying a small assortment of meat to see if it is worth it for them to expand and put in new freezers. A very small fryer chicken was 17 dollars. There's just no way I can do that. I am jealous! However, you've inspired me to try making more of my food from scratch and eating less fast food as soon as school's out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is wonderful! i'm also proud of you all, and you should be too.

    ReplyDelete