Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dreams, nay, Fantasies

I dream of pasta.  Shimmering, soft strands, enrobed in silky olive oil.  Delicate ravioli stuffed with exotic mushrooms.  Sturdy penne manfully holding up marinara sauce with sausage and fennel.  Dainty, flighty angel hair caressing tender pink shrimp with garlic kisses.
Then I wake up and see the lumpish, loutish frat boy of pasta that I made today.  It belches loudly without excusing itself, is thick and unwieldy, and if it could would drive a big truck with no exhaust.  I have no pasta roller and am simply not strong enough to beat this recalcitrant dough into submission.  Unfortunately, until I can find a used pasta roller I am stuck with these Homer-esque noodles.  They insult my lovingly crafted spaghetti sauce and bounce away from my fork and knife with glee.  Even Orion manfully chewed on them for awhile before giving up and moving on to the greener pastures of garlic bread.  So for now I have my dreams to fall back on but that carbonara will have to wait.
 This pasta may have won the battle, but I will win the war.

6 comments:

  1. When life gives you fratboy pasta, throw a shot of vodka in the sauce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to consider being a food writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oscar loves his kitchenaid pasta attachment :) Now ask how often it is used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, we can provide a loving home for it. Please don't take it to a shelter - they almost always euthanize unwanted kitchen appliances. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Remind me to send you my Grandma's recipe for chicken and noodles - even I manage to make the noodles come out perfect :) - Tam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! You can find those Kitchen Aid mixer attachments on Craig's List all the time. We were looking at the meat grinder and sausage stiffer a year ago and ran across a bunch. Is there a CL where you are?

    ReplyDelete