Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Yup, I'm spoiled

I had to run to the grocery store today, just like most people do at least once a week.  We were out of butter, eggs and a few other sundries.  I knew I wasn't going to make it out to Superstition Farm where we normally get our eggs and dairy so we just walked over to Albertsons.  I found myself getting depressed as I bought ordinary eggs, all white, not brown and green and white like we're used to.  These were eggs from chickens that didn't have names!  Then I got grumpy as I bought butter.  Not my butter, pre-formed sticks.  Tomorrow we'll stock up at the farmers market but my attitude on food sure has changed.  What is quick and easy no longer holds the appeal it used to.  I'm relishing the work that goes into creating our food.  I just have to learn to relish a little less so that the pound of butter I made on Friday lasts a whole week instead of 5 days. 
On another note, Sophie had a play date yesterday and when I went to pick her up the mom was laughing at Sophie's conversations.  Apparently making Play Doh is a lot like making bread, and Soph was surprised to learn that not everyone makes their own jelly.  It made me realize that not only am I learning and growing, so are my kids.  They are being exposed to a way of life that is decidedly not the norm any more.  Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. And you will notice that the grocery store eggs' yolks are the wrong color, too. That's because they're old (and the chickens are fed crap.)

    On another note, if you wouldn't make such yummy bread, you wouldn't use so much butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks Rachel, now I know to start making crummy bread. I made buttermilk bread yesterday and we've gone through almost an entire loaf. Strawberry ginger jam doesn't help much. The eggs we get from the farm are beautiful with this bright orange yolk. Now store-bought eggs taste wrong.

    ReplyDelete