Sunday, March 25, 2012

A confession

I have a confession to make.  I know I'm this big hippie, so into cooking for my family and such, but I must confess that this is the first week in as long as I can remember that I have not consumed some form of convenience food or drink.  Not just Taco Bell or pizza but Starbucks and frozen waffles and Santiago's breakfast burritos (mmmmmmmm Santiago's).  I have become aware of just how pervasive fast food is in our lives.  And fast food equates to money and preservatives.  I examined a can of tomato soup I had in the pantry and was shocked to see that the second ingredient was high fructose corn syrup.  In soup!  There's titanium dioxide in ranch dressing.  In case you're unfamiliar with titanium dioxide, it's the same ingredient that makes sunscreen effective.  There's additives in almost every processed food on the market.  Phew, end of rant.  I know that not everyone can devote the time and energy I am to eating and living simply and I'll admit to a secret addiction to Whoppers, but I have a challenge to everyone reading this.  Go to your food cupboards and read the labels.  Find out what you're eating.  Wait,  actually I have two challenges.  I want to hear from you.  How long have you gone without buying some form of convenience food, and how long do you think you could?  There's no judgment here, I am truly curious.  It's been an adjustment for us and I'm sure it would be for everyone else.  For this question let's define convenience food as food or drink prepared by someone other than you.  I can't wait to see the responses!  And for everyone in Colorado, you know why I miss Santiago's.

1 comment:

  1. I am a big convenience eater, I admit. I probably haven't gone a day without consuming something pre-made. I just try to look for the least-processed food I can -- and sometimes I've been more successful at that than other times.

    ReplyDelete