Thursday, May 24, 2012

Monty Python Has All The Answers

Mike and I have a habit of talking in movie quotes.  For some reason that I've never been able to comprehend it tends to irritate and confuse the people around us.  When I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed I'll exclaim "I'm INVINCIBLE" and Mike will respond with "You're a loonie."  Right now I think his quote is winning. 
When I started the Grand Experiment I figured that 4 months in I would be creating everything from scratch.  Pasta, tortillas, soup, etc.  Then I got the bright idea of starting a business at the same time.  Then I got the brilliant idea of signing up for a bridal show with little more than a month to prepare. Oh, and the absolutely fabulous idea of bribing Sophie with a pet if she had good behavior for 30 days.  I think I've convinced her a lizard is a better idea than a tortoise, I'm not so sure I want a pet I'll have to provide for in my will.  So now I'm trying to do everything and I'm sorry to say the Experiment has been shoved to the back burner.   I still make our bread and jams and butter, but I bought corn tortillas today for our carnitas.  Occasionally I buy canned tomato soup (sans high fructose corn syrup) for Soph.  I'm ashamed to admit I even let Mike bring home store bought ice cream one night.  The only defense I can offer is that at least it was Ben and Jerry's. 
The other part, not buying anything new, has proved harder and much more rewarding than I thought.  I've given up trying to find used canning jars, apparently they are harder to find than pacifists at a gun show.  No luck on a pasta roller or bread cookbooks either.  My quest did lead me to an amazing barter site on Facebook where I have bartered for yard services, herbs and spices, and all kinds of other fun things.  Since they don't make baby straight jackets we were forced to buy a high chair for Orion with a five point harness, I was becoming a little sick of diving for him as he balanced on the kitchen table.  We found one on Craigslist for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy new.  I'm in love with Goodwill now, the kids have darling wardrobes and I don't care when Orion inevitably destroys his clothing.  Yes Mom, I know these are all things you've known for years, it just took me a little longer to get with the program.  It takes more work and a heck of a lot more planning but there's something so much more rewarding about finding a used item rather than waltzing over to the nearest Target. 
I don't know what the moral of this story is yet.  Did I let myself down by not committing one hundred percent to the householding?  Am I not invincible?  Is there someone out there hoarding used mason jars?  I guess I can always look on the bright side of life, there will always be Monty Python.
Oh, and on a side note, I will be posting more recipes from here on out, and if you all have any good ones, fire away.

8 comments:

  1. I'm still CRAZY PROUD of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with having a backburner, sometimes they are necessary for sanity! And as far as Goodwill, we love our thrift excursions and I've always loved your mom's house because she's made it a cozy home with personality, and not a mirror image of a catalog home. It's a very welcoming place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is my inspiration. She not only created a warm, welcoming home but she has done the same for the kids. Their rooms are full of beautiful little touches that came from her.

      Delete
  3. Just keep doing what you can, you said yourself in the description of your blog you "making as much food, cleaning products, etc. as POSSIBLE" it's not always possible to do 100% of everything from scratch yourself. Prioritizing is a part of life, which is fluid, so things change and rearrange.. but as long as you stay true to what is important to you, I think you are in good shape :) Keep that back burner burnin sista. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie has been creating a card a day in honor of your arrival. We are both so excited.

      Delete
  4. Peter Reinhart=Bread You can get the books at the library, but then you have to return them. Unfortunately the used copies I found in my less than thorough search were the same price as buying the book new- but that should also tell you that they are good :)
    I keep hitting the thrift stores around here and just recently read an article about how not to waste money on kids. Amusingly the author explained that instead of buying $75 t-shirts, I should buy $10-$20 t-shirts. My response was: people really pay $10-$20 for t-shirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? For kids? I think their entire wardrobe equals about $75. For both of them. I am begging for a copy of Rose Levy-Birnbaum's Bread Bible for my birthday, which unfortunately comes in November.

      Delete