Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Malto Gluco Sorbo Gluta What?

Ok, I admit it, I bought potato chips today.  I did it and I'm not sorry.  (Maybe a little.) I'd do it again! (Probably not)  I tried to retrieve my virtue and pride by making my own dip.  I had Greek yogurt at home and figured I would buy a packet of spices to make ranch dip.  Mike has started calling me the Ingredient Nazi, but I prefer the Ingredient Junky, although both have unpleasant connotations.  I can't stop reading ingredients now, it's becoming an addiction.  So I flipped over the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix expecting to see, oh I don't know, things like onion powder, garlic powder, maybe salt.  Instead I found monosodium glutamate and maltodextrin.  I flashed to all the commercials of kids cavorting around, their crisp green veggies covered in........ MSG!!!  Gah!  I finally found an organic dip mix that had nothing but dehydrated spices and citric acid but a little more of my faith in the food business had been permanently eroded.  Gotta love the kicker though, I was inspecting a packet of Papa John's pizza sauce and there was not a single ingredient on there that didn't come from nature.  No high fructose corn syrup, no weird preservatives, no msg. 
So I will get off my high horse and say that curiosity may kill the cat, but it can keep us all a lot healthier.  I'll bet every single one of you would have said that Hidden Valley Ranch is healthier than Papa Johns Pizza Sauce, right?  Marketing is an amazing tool and it depends on the audience having a certain amount of faith that what they are seeing is true.  My faith is fading but my knowledge is growing.  One more cool side effect of the grand Experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment