Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day Adventure

I know I've mentioned it before, but I have met some extraordinary people on this journey.  I don't know if it's because I have my eyes open and am searching out local food and products, but Phoenix is full of both, and the people involved are wonderful.  Last Sunday my friend Tracy invited Sophie and me to join her and her kids peach picking.  Orion and Mike were invited too but the thought of my son on a working farm with tractors, ladders, sharp implements and farm animals made me a little faint.  So the boys stayed home and the girls sashayed off to Schnepf Farm.  We spent the afternoon picking peachy-golden orbs of heaven out of pesticide free orchards.  Everywhere we looked people were munching on sun-warmed peaches straight off the trees.  Sophie showed an amazing ability to find perfect peaches and developed a pretty serious crush on Tracy's 14 year old son.  Apparently Mike and I need to go on a date so he and his sister can babysit.  Soon.  After we had picked as many peaches as we could carry we headed over The Olive Mill for homemade gelato for the kids and local beer for the moms.  We headed home slightly sunburnt, full of gelato and with a trunk full of fruit.
I can't imagine a more perfect way to spend this Mother's Day.  Sophie and I rarely get time together alone and the boys had fun staying at home playing video games.  To spend the day gathering fruit  not covered in pesticides, supporting local businesses, and with good friends was completely in tune with our lifestyle out here.  I am grateful beyond belief that the Experiment opened our minds and hearts to all that Phoenix has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment