Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Did you miss me?

Oh, hi reality, there you are.  It's been awhile, it's nice to see you again.
What an incredibly hectic, stressful and rewarding few weeks.  The bridal expo was on Sunday and it was a huge success for the company.  My fabulous sisters all pitched in to make it happen.  Jessie created my logo, Abby designed my flyers and business cards and LZ flew down to schmooze the brides.  Add into that mix my wonderful husband who not only designed the website but didn't divorce me in the process of all this and I had the perfect witches brew of talent and support.  We had vendors coming up and saying they had heard brides talking about us and they wanted to see what we were all about.  My absolute favorite moment was when a very manly groom dragged his fiance over to our booth exclaiming, "You HAVE to try the rosewater candy!". 
So that was the good side.  The down side is that I bought bread for the first time in months.  We ate out more last week than we have since we moved in.  I had a chance to pick up a flat of pickling cucumbers and I had to pass it by because I knew I wouldn't have time.  Our clothesline is beginning to think we don't love it anymore, it has started wearing black lipstick and listening to emo. 
So now, balance.  I believe I am going to make a few amendments to the Grand Experiment.  I will still make our staples, and we certainly won't be buying processed food, but I am going to allow some flexibility.  A major part of this journey for me was to gain knowledge.  To that end, I have learned how to make my own bread, therefore if I occasionally buy some artisan bread it's ok.  I still haven't mastered pasta, so I will keep practicing until I do.  But I can support my friend Casey by purchasing his to-die-for hand made pastas on special occasions.  Pickles, preserves, chutneys and ketchup will continue to be homemade.  I can make my own hummus and baba ghanouj, but I will never make it as well as Richard from Claudine's Kitchen
From now on it's going to be about knowledge, and sharing that knowledge.  Look for more recipes, tips and photos in the future.  I do have a request; I want, nay need, a recipe for garlicky, spicy dill pickles.  I'm snapping up the very next batch of pickling cucumbers I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment