Friday, September 21, 2012

My turn to crow

Earlier in the summer I pouted while my friends planted their gardens.  I glared at my sun scorched yard as I read accounts of gardens flowering and fruiting.  I admit I thought unkind thoughts when I saw pictures of dew glistening on tomatoes in the early morning sun, and then realized that it was over 100 degrees at 6am in my neighborhood.  I would like to apologize, and in turn gloat a little.  As most of my dear loved ones are bedding their gardens down for the winter and accepting that there are lots of rutabagas in their future, I am gleefully planting heirloom purple basil and kale.  Last week it didn't even top 105 in the afternoon! 
I can feel myself coming alive and now I understand how a tree feels after being dormant.  This summer was spent merely surviving, and occasionally wondering what it would feel like to not sweat for even a moment.  There was no inspiration, I didn't even want to cook, which for me is like not breathing.  Now I can see relief, I can see life coming back, I can see rows and rows of pickling cucumbers. 
Here is what I envision for Christmas.  Baskets sent to loved ones all around the country filled with rosewater lemonade, garlicky heirloom dill pickles, rosemary scented homemade crackers, and of course a selection of candies.  I'm thinking pumpkin pie spice, candy cane, plum brandy and eggnog flavors.  My creativity is coming surging back and I daydream of all the bounty I will reap as I dig manure into my garden bed.  It helps me get past the fact that I am once again playing with poo, something that I do more than I ever thought I would.  So I apologize for my absence over the past few months but I'm back and better than ever!  So tell me, what you would like in your Christmas basket? 

2 comments:

  1. Della Curry? The woman from the news who refuses to release information pertaining to her employment termination? The woman who thinks she's going to get an audience with government leaders to show them facebook postings that "prove" the school lunch program needs to be changed? LOL, LOL, LOL!!

    What a JOKE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention it's QUITE apparent you are filtering your (STUPID!) facebook page.

    You're nothing but a liar.

    ReplyDelete