Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recipes Part 1

Geez, it's been a month.  My only excuse is that we left the pits of Hell (Phoenix) to visit a place that was merely on fire (Colorado).  After two weeks on the road we are home with a ton of memories, an extra kid, an ear infection and two massive colds.  Since one of the massive colds belongs to me I haven't been cooking very much since we got home.  I will be making carnitas this week for my niece as a treat and most likely pizza but I'm sorry to say that the 4 course Southern Italian tasting menu will have to be postponed.   I will be posting the carnitas recipe tomorrow, today it's all about pizza.  The recipes are starters only, feel free to change  add, delete and improvise as much as you want.  These are two of my go-to meals when I don't feel like pushing my boundaries but still want something incredibly tasty. 

Movie Night Pizza

1 tbs active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey
1.5 cups warm water
4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs olive oil

1 can crushed, fire roasted tomatoes (I prefer Muir Glen)
8 oz fresh mozzarella, diced
1 tbs chopped fresh basil

Combine yeast, honey and 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve yeast.  Let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.  Meanwhile combine 3.5 cups flour, salt and oregano in a large bowl.  Add yeast mixture, remaining water and olive oil.  Knead in bowl until combined then turn on to floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.  You can add the remaining flour if needed or wanted.  The more flour the crispier the crust will be.  When dough is smooth and not sticky any more place in bowl, rub with oil and cover with a damp cloth.  I put mine in my oven to keep it away from drafts.  Let rise for 45-minutes to 1 hour.  You can tell it's ready when you push the dough with your finger and the depression stays.  This recipe makes enough for two large pizzas or one large pizza and breadsticks. 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll half the dough out to desired thickness and place on oiled pizza tray or baking sheet.  Sprinkle drained tomatoes over dough, then mozzarella then basil.  Sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.  To make the breadsticks, divide remaining dough into 5 balls, roll in your hands until long and place on oiled baking sheet.  Brush with olive oil or butter and whatever spices sound good.  Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.
Sometimes I add crushed fresh garlic.  Sometimes I add pancetta.  Sometimes I get really crazy and add peaches and chorizo.  Most nights though, the simple and fresh flavors of mozzarella and basil are all I need.   We have this pizza about once a week and have a "picnic" out in the living room and watch movies.  Sophie loves helping me make the dough and add the toppings and Orion can eat his weight in pizza and breadsticks.  

4 comments:

  1. This makes me miss you and want you to come make me dinner. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got about halfway through this thinking "Where the heck is the GARLIC?" and then saw your "sometimes I add...." phew. I just can't imagine pizza without garlic. :) I'm a huge fan of plain old tomatoes, garlic and shredded carrots for a good sauce myself; all the spices can come or go. YUM, simplicity.

    ReplyDelete